Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that’s caused by a lack of sunlight – hence why it’s associated with the colder months of the year. Most common in individuals in the 18-30 age group, it’s a problem that affects around 2 million people in the UK alone.
This has a knock-on effect in the workplace, with 9 million days lost in the UK each and every year due to SAD. The good news is that corporate wellness programs can help through the provision of ongoing nutritional support. We’ll explore that in a little while, but let’s first examine how it can be mitigated through diet.
Using Diet to Combat SAD
Truth is, many people who are experiencing SAD are unaware of it, putting the symptoms down to a bad night’s sleep or a heavy workload. While the following symptoms are quite general in nature, they do point towards a SAD diagnosis:
- Oversleeping & problems getting to sleep
- Loss of interest in activities you enjoy
- General lethargy & lack of energy
- Increased levels of anxiety
- Persistently low mood
- Loss of motivation
Fortunately, it’s a problem that can be addressed using a person’s diet, as the food that’s eaten can have a powerful influence on mood and appetite. There are certain foods that can help you overcome these so-called ‘winter blues’. Let’s take a look at them now.
- Fish Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids –As corporate wellness nutrition training will teach you, fish is great for the brain, as it contains vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids that support brain health. Rainbow trout & salmon are ideal and tasty too!
- Protein + Wholegrain Bread – That usual post-lunch energy crash can be avoided by eating wholegrain bread and protein. These healthy carbs and protein will give you the mood support you need and leave you feeling satisfied until dinner.
- Berries for Snacks – At snack time, it’s easy to reach for high-carb sweets, crisps and other junk food. This can lead to mood swings as the sugar rush abates, but strawberries, blueberries or raspberries offer sweetness without the added sugar.
- Leafy Vegetables – Vitamins B and B12 are important for stable mood, as well as for brain function. Including spinach, collards, kale and other green, leafy veg in your diet will give you an abundance of both, helping to reduce depression and anxiety.
- Zinc-rich Crab Meat – Zinc is another element that’s needed for good mental health and mood, as it supports neurotransmitter function. Eating crab meat will give your body an injection of the stuff, helping you to stay happy and balanced.
- Dark Chocolate – reaching for a regular chocolate bar when you’re craving sugary food will make you feel better, but it’s usually short-lived and leads to a crash shortly after. Instead, choose dark choc that gives you the taste without the sugar spike!
Corporate Wellness Programs Teach Good Nutrition
While much of what goes on in any good corporate wellness program is focused on physical fitness, there’s also support provided for mental wellness and good nutrition. At BUA FIT, we’ve run a number of nutrition workshops that have served to improve knowledge.
Healthy eating is one of the cornerstones of a long, happy, and productive life, so it makes sense to complement the many physical activities that are typically available with training on how to enjoy a balanced diet that will let you reach your full potential.
All-Encompassing Wellness Support From BUA FIT
With our help, your team can get the knowledge they need to get a balanced diet and avoid issues like SAD that affect so many people. This is all part of our all-encompassing corporate wellness programs that are already being enjoyed by businesses across the Capital.
Our bespoke programs include all manner of outdoor, online and indoor options like fitness classes, yoga, pre/postnatal classes and HIIT training (to name but a few) and are delivered to perfectly suit your needs.
If you’d like to know more about us and how we do things, why not have a chat with a friendly member of our team? There you’ll find everything you need to know, as well as details of our full range of services.
As always, stay fit, happy, and healthy.
Book Outdoor & Online Classes
Keep it interesting and convenient. Choose from over 100 fitness partners in incredible outdoor locations throughout London.Join BUA for free
Partner with us
We invest in your sucesss. Build your income and wellness brand at lower risk. No rent. No marketing costs. Find your classes on the first page of Google.Get Set Up