Meditation is an umbrella term for the many ways to achieve a relaxed state of being. There are many types of meditation and relaxation techniques that have meditation components. They all share the same goal of achieving inner peace and enjoying less stress in your life!
There are simple ways to welcome mediation into your life, a good way to begin is by setting aside 5 minutes to try-out the following:
- Focused attention: Focusing your attention is what helps free your mind from the many distractions that cause stress and worry. You can focus your attention on such things as a specific object, an image, a mantra, or even you’re breathing.
- Breathe deeply. This technique is good for beginners because breathing is a natural function.
Focus all your attention on your breathing. Concentrate on feeling and listening as you inhale and exhale through your nostrils. Breathe deeply and slowly. When your attention wanders, gently return your focus to your breathe.
- Repeat a mantra. You can create your own mantra, whether it’s religious or secular. Examples of religious mantras include the Jesus Prayer in the Christian tradition, the holy name of God in Judaism, or the OM Mantra of Hinduism, Buddhism and other Eastern religions.
- Walk and meditate. Combining a walk with meditation is an efficient and healthy way to relax. You can use this technique anywhere you’re walking, such as in a tranquil forest, on a city sidewalk or around your local neighbourhood.
- Engage in prayer. Prayer is the best known and most widely practiced example of meditation. Spoken and written prayers are found in most faith traditions.
- A quiet setting. If you’re a beginner, practicing meditation may be easier if you’re in a quiet spot with few distractions, including no television, radios or mobile phones.
- A comfortable position. You can practice meditation whether you’re sitting, lying down, walking, or in other positions or activities. Just try to be comfortable so that you can get the most out of your meditation. Aim to keep good posture during meditation.
- Open attitude. Let thoughts pass through your mind without judgment
Experiment, and you’ll likely find out what types of meditation work best for you and what you enjoy doing. Remember, there’s no right way or wrong way to meditate. What matters is that meditation helps you reduce your stress and feel better overall.
As always, stay fit, happy and healthy.
Book Outdoor & Online Classes
Keep it interesting and convenient. Choose from over 100 fitness partners in incredible outdoor locations throughout London.Join BUA for free
Partner with us
We invest in your sucesss. Build your income and wellness brand at lower risk. No rent. No marketing costs. Find your classes on the first page of Google.Get Set Up